Saturday, August 05, 2006

Good Old Days




















How Hard is it to be happy?
A 'somebody' asked me..
Not a difficult one to ask
nevertheless, the answer indeed was!
Hence, started this quest
Mine that I wish now,
I wish I never did...

With a wry smile
(I am pretty good with thatDid I ever mention that part?well anyways ...)
I pity myself
almost like that hyserical actress,
In a drama on doordarshan
Thats all I remeber I saw!!
( besides how to breed cows & hens & educative programs)

while I am at thisI am thinking..
humor is a sublte art
I would have bored me
Thank god , I atleast got that!
(Okay back to where I left it )
Isnt it weird how I waited
so long to be a " grown up"
and now all I want to
is to " grow down"
(if there is anything as such...On a serious note,.... )

Now I guess I understand,
what people meant when they went ..
"O' Those were the days!!!
"Yes,those were the days...
Of pure joy,
Of innocence,
Of tiny fights,
Of colorful icecreams that I ate
with frnds on the school road..,
Of tinkling school bells..
Of punishments, which meant
u got to run a good two miles..

Of " games classes"
(what a luxury...can u believe we had "games" classes???)
Of those nightsI used to cry ,
seeing a ghost or so I think I did
my dad would run to my rescue
carry me on his shoulder
till I lay sleep again..

Of that day when i brazed my knee
but the tincture at the school hospital
hurt more than an infinity...

Of those weddings whenI got to wear
gorgeous frocks of silk
silly me,did not even know what was silk,
(not that I would care then)
used to mindlessly jump around anyways..
until I was tired, to move another limb
& I knew My mom was a tantrum away
ready to carry me home
safe while I was in dreams

today as I recall one after the other
" those good old days"
Yes, indeed
those were the days..

Irony is
No matter what I do,
I know for sure,
things are never going to be the same
as they were before..
Unfortunately for me,
I am no more four,
but twenty four..!!
( actually 23 I had to lie to make it rhyme :))

How hard is it to be happy?
As hard as it would be
to change things to be
back to when I was
fouteen or four...!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every person has a golden phase in his/her life and that is Childhood. Your poem has made me think abt my childhood for like 2-3 hrs now, i had to complete 2 reliance cards, to talk to everyone at home and also to my grandparents.
I usually dnt do much on friday nights (not a party animal), usually watch a movie and sleep, but this friday was special.
My god can u beleive this I am typing this with a smile on my face...
Thanks for making my evening so good. U reminded me of my childhood too.

--
Admirer

PS:
There is a song in movie Naa Autograph....(Gurthukvastunayi .....). I guess u shld hear that.

Bala said...

Those were the days we are poets.....

Anonymous said...

May colours fill your future with Happiness and Joy.
HAPPY FRIENDSHIP'S DAY
Stay happy

Who am I???
Say Anonymous

Anonymous said...

It's a really good poem. Sweet one it is, in fact. Who doesn't long for those days...childhood has its moments, ones that you cherish, but let them remain as fond memories, for if your wish came true and the moment you go back to being a child, the memories won't remain as fond as they are now..they become something less. Certainly cherish your childhood, but let them remain as fond memories.
It's good to be grown up now, i think....

The last stanza of your poem suggests that achieving happiness is impossible ( as you say it is as difficult as becoming four again)....i think achieving happiness is difficult, certainly, but it's not impossible. You can be a grown-up and be happy. This is just a small technicality, and I guess your views would be identical to mine on this matter.

Jayachandra said...

Excellent one as any other on the list. You could say you are 'one less than Twenty Four' instead of giving one extra line of prose for reader's sake. Poetry better be less of prose, what say! Just an opinion though :)